Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/self employment expenses


My husband is a probation officer and is contracted with the court of common pleas to prepare pre-sentence investigations on felons.  He really is not in the "business" to do this elsewhere, it is just solely for the court of common pleas.  They give him cases that he must prepare and he has to get them done in a reasonable timeline or sometimes on demand.

I am told that he is considered an independent contractor, and I don't really understand that because he is not running a business to make a living at this.  However, if that is the case, then I am wondering what type of expenses he can claim against the income.  I know mileage, and expenses like supplies, etc. but what about pro-rating the use of our home for him to prepare these cases?  He normally works from our home, but not always, and I just wondered what other things may be allowable deductions to help offset some of his income since he has to pay self employment tax.

Thank you.


This is way deeper then even you imagine

Anything tangentially related to his business can be deducted.  But I'd love to see the court agreement

Has he been doing this long?  Has he always gotten a 1090?  He is not an employee (w2) anywhere or for the court?  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.