Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/self employment expenses

Question
My husband is a probation officer and is contracted with the court of common pleas to prepare pre-sentence investigations on felons.  He really is not in the "business" to do this elsewhere, it is just solely for the court of common pleas.  They give him cases that he must prepare and he has to get them done in a reasonable timeline or sometimes on demand.

I am told that he is considered an independent contractor, and I don't really understand that because he is not running a business to make a living at this.  However, if that is the case, then I am wondering what type of expenses he can claim against the income.  I know mileage, and expenses like supplies, etc. but what about pro-rating the use of our home for him to prepare these cases?  He normally works from our home, but not always, and I just wondered what other things may be allowable deductions to help offset some of his income since he has to pay self employment tax.

Thank you.

Answer
Wow

This is way deeper then even you imagine

Anything tangentially related to his business can be deducted.  But I'd love to see the court agreement

Has he been doing this long?  Has he always gotten a 1090?  He is not an employee (w2) anywhere or for the court?  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa