Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax return Form


Would like to know what tax form I'm going to need as a owner operator. This is my first year as my own boss and how will I go about claiming my son as a depend?


If you own and operate your own business as an individual then you will need Form 1040, Schedule C and Schedule SE at minimum.   You claim your son on the Form 1040 but if you mean day care expense or college expense deductions then there are additional forms for those.  If you own and operate your business as a Corporation, LLC or other organization type then they have there own specific forms.

I hope that helps but I would consider a tax professional to help you at least in the first few years.  

Best Regards,

Ryan Hasselmeier
Tax Advisor


Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ryan Hasselmeier


A degreed accountant with significant experience in taxation compliance and resolution at all levels of government regulation.


Experienced Tax Advisor, Consultant and Preparer for over 15 years. In private practice for nearly 12 years now. Experienced in all areas of taxation: International, Federal, State, Local, etc

Current Chairman of the American Tax Professional Association Inc, a non-profit professional business association of accountants, tax preparers, consultants and advisors who specialize in compliance and representation of taxpayers before federal, state and local government regulators.

Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting and Management Information Systems from Sam Houston State University in Huntsville Texas.

Awards and Honors
Passed all parts of the Enrolled Agent Certification Examination administered by the Department of the Treasury and a Registered Tax Return Preparer with the Internal Revenue Service.

©2017 All rights reserved.