Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Taxable travel

John, hello, I am a consultant who travels on a regular basis for work. What is the tax rule on airfare regarding travel over the weekend to my second home or another city to visit with friends (instead of returning to my primary home). Do I have to pay taxes on the airfare for visits to both my second home and other cities that are not my primary home?

Thanks for your question.

The issue becomes clearer if you use mileage, instead of air fare.  The same principle applies to both.  You are being reimbursed/taking a deduction for mileage incurred for your business travel.  If you decided not to return home one weekend but stayed in the area doing some sightseeing, etc., that would be personal mileage.  Granted, you could have gone home, but you didn't so you can't take a deduction for the personal travel and you can't take a deduction for the cost you would have incurred if you went home.

So, the air costs to friends or to a second home are not deductible items.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University