Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Wash Sale Replacement Shares

Question
Good Morning.  

My name is Mike Derato and I am looking for additional clarification on what constitutes replacement shares. I have a few investments containing multiple purchases and sells which happen to occur within a 61-day window.  I have been trying to determine whether or not I can claim any part of the loss in the following situation.

1/13 Purchase 76 shares for $3,000
1/20 Sell     76 shares for $3,275  Gain

1/21 Purchase 77 shares for $3,100
1/28 Sell     77 shares for $2,831  Loss

2/13 Purchase 76 shares for $2,828

In this scenario, I recognize the 2/13 purchase to be a portion of the replacement shares.  My question is, does the 1/13 purchase also fall into this situation since it happens within the 61-day period even though those shares were sold to zero prior to the 1/21 purchase?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Answer
Michael,

Thanks for your question.

The 1/13 purchase was closed in regard to wash sales with the sale on 1/20, so it is not a factor.

Since you sold 77 shares for a loss on 1/28 and repurchased 76 shares on 2/13, the loss on 76 shares is not deductible and attaches to the shares purchased on that date.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA