Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Wash Sale Replacement Shares

Good Morning.  

My name is Mike Derato and I am looking for additional clarification on what constitutes replacement shares. I have a few investments containing multiple purchases and sells which happen to occur within a 61-day window.  I have been trying to determine whether or not I can claim any part of the loss in the following situation.

1/13 Purchase 76 shares for $3,000
1/20 Sell     76 shares for $3,275  Gain

1/21 Purchase 77 shares for $3,100
1/28 Sell     77 shares for $2,831  Loss

2/13 Purchase 76 shares for $2,828

In this scenario, I recognize the 2/13 purchase to be a portion of the replacement shares.  My question is, does the 1/13 purchase also fall into this situation since it happens within the 61-day period even though those shares were sold to zero prior to the 1/21 purchase?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks for your question.

The 1/13 purchase was closed in regard to wash sales with the sale on 1/20, so it is not a factor.

Since you sold 77 shares for a loss on 1/28 and repurchased 76 shares on 2/13, the loss on 76 shares is not deductible and attaches to the shares purchased on that date.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University