Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/1098-E / w-9s Forms &


I received a letter from the IRS re: my 2010 taxes informing amount reported to IRS and me for 2010 are different. I have 2 issues:
1. I claimed student loan interest deductions from 2 different loans I have.  I received a 1098-E form from one institution (Great Lakes) but from the other I didn't because they informed I didn't turn in my W-9s form (Citibank student loans but is not federal loan).  In this letter from citibank, they informed they didn't send 1098-e form due to this form not recived but they did inform the amount of interest that was paid for 2010 tax year.

Can I send the amended 2010 tax form to include this interest from Citibank even though they didn't report to IRS for 2010?   If not, how I do receive the correct info from 2010 tax year to claim?

2. I forgot to include Pensions and Annuities for 2010 tax year.
Do I just add this into the amended form for 2010?

Thanks for your help :)


Thanks for your question.

Since the IRS has contacted you, you can't do an amended return, but must file a response to their inquiry.  You should detail, with documentation, what you have told me and send it, along with a copy of the letter they sent you.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Stancil, CPA


I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at


I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]