Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/1098-E / w-9s Forms &

Question
I received a letter from the IRS re: my 2010 taxes informing amount reported to IRS and me for 2010 are different. I have 2 issues:
1. I claimed student loan interest deductions from 2 different loans I have.  I received a 1098-E form from one institution (Great Lakes) but from the other I didn't because they informed I didn't turn in my W-9s form (Citibank student loans but is not federal loan).  In this letter from citibank, they informed they didn't send 1098-e form due to this form not recived but they did inform the amount of interest that was paid for 2010 tax year.

Can I send the amended 2010 tax form to include this interest from Citibank even though they didn't report to IRS for 2010?   If not, how I do receive the correct info from 2010 tax year to claim?

2. I forgot to include Pensions and Annuities for 2010 tax year.
Do I just add this into the amended form for 2010?

Thanks for your help :)

Answer
Amy,

Thanks for your question.

Since the IRS has contacted you, you can't do an amended return, but must file a response to their inquiry.  You should detail, with documentation, what you have told me and send it, along with a copy of the letter they sent you.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA