Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Am I able to claim myself?

Hello, I am a 20 year old full time college student. I have not worked this year. My mother usually claims me on her taxes every year. She was unemployed this and received unemployment benefits for a while. I have 2 loans and a grant for school and still pay out of pocket monthly. I am supposed to what i payed the school back on income tax return. I also can get compensated for traveling from my home to campus by riding the bus. I can show them the bus passes, but the money can only be received on taxes. I have not lived with my mother for 6 months. Even though I have not worked will I be able to file or will my mother still be able to claim me as a dependant because I am a full-time student. Is there a way that I can file or both of us while she still uses me? I never receive any of the money from her and it isnt fair because she gets alot of money from claiming me and i am not able to claim myself. Is she still eligible to claim me and under what circumstances will i be able to claim myself and not be used?

Thanks for your question.

She cannot claim you if:
1. You provided over half your support.
2. You did not live with her for more than half the year.

If she can't claim you, you can claim your self.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University