Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Canadian charity

Question
I was wondering if I make a donation to a Canadian church with US dollars is this able to be documented as a tax deduction? Thank you for your time.

Answer
Miriam,

Thanks for your question.

No, a charitable contribution must be made to an IRS qualified charitable organization. An individual making a contribution to a charitable organization is entitled to an income tax deduction under Section 170(a) only if the organization is "created or organized in the United States or in any possession thereof, or under the laws of the United States, any State, the District of Columbia, or any possession of the United States."3 Thus, contributions by individuals to a charity created or organized under foreign law are not deductible for income tax purposes.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA