Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/car tax


i am in the military and am stationed in Georgia. i am a Michigan resident. but in my time in Georgia i bought a car and was charged 7% of the value as a state tax. will i get the money back since its a state tax and I'm a non resident?


Both GA and MI have state income taxes but the  tax you paid on your car was a sales tax, not a state income tax withheld, like it is on your paychecks.

If you itemize deductions, you can deduct the higher of state income taxes paid (via paycheck withholding and/or paying prior year balances due in the current year) or sales taxes paid during the year. If you did not keep receipts for all your sales tax paid (most of us don't) the IRS has a chart based on income of how much an "average person" pays in sales taxes. However, you can add the sales tax paid on the car to the chart amounts since the charts do not account for "high ticket" items like a car.

I am not aware of any provision that allowed a refund of sales taxes paid on a vehicle for military personnel stationed in GA.

Take care,  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bruce W. Tyler, EA


I can answer questions with regard to the following: Preparation/Tax Law regarding Individual Income Tax (IRS and California), Audit Representation/IRS Procedures of personal and corporate income tax including appeals, IRS Collection procedures for individuals, partnerships and corporations, Offers-in-Compromise, Installment Payment Plans, Penalty Abatement,Income from Cancellation of Debt. Heavy experience with Public Safety (i.e. Firefighters, Police Officers, Correctional Officers, etc) as well as medical industry.


21 years in tax preparation and representation

National Association of Enrolled Agents

4 years of accounting at Woodbury University/UCLA Extension

©2017 All rights reserved.