Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Childcare Taxes

I recently severed relations with a care provider after 5 years, we had not been claiming the tax credit since the woman asked us not to due to her parents being on SSI disability and she lived with them and watched our children at their home. Do I have any liability for not claiming the child care credit on the $350 a week we were paying her for watching our children. I want to make sure we did not do anything wrong with regards to the IRS

Thanks for your question.

No you do not have any tax liability for not taking the child care credit.  Just a significant loss to you in terms of the additional tax you paid by not claiming the credit.  

Of course, she is committing fraud by not reporting the income and possibly with the SSI issue.  Since I am a CPA and not an attorney, I cannot legally deal with any issue in this regard, since it is outside the area of tax law.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University