Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Childcare Taxes

Question
I recently severed relations with a care provider after 5 years, we had not been claiming the tax credit since the woman asked us not to due to her parents being on SSI disability and she lived with them and watched our children at their home. Do I have any liability for not claiming the child care credit on the $350 a week we were paying her for watching our children. I want to make sure we did not do anything wrong with regards to the IRS

Answer
Sean,

Thanks for your question.

No you do not have any tax liability for not taking the child care credit.  Just a significant loss to you in terms of the additional tax you paid by not claiming the credit.  

Of course, she is committing fraud by not reporting the income and possibly with the SSI issue.  Since I am a CPA and not an attorney, I cannot legally deal with any issue in this regard, since it is outside the area of tax law.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA