Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/claiming a dependant


I just broke up & moved out of my ex-boyfriends apartment. (I am on SSI for my past depression). I would pay him in cash my share of rent and utilities etc. When I was cleaning out his truck I found his h&R block paperwork that had me & my social security # listed as a dependent. Because of this he claimed his son for head of houshold deduction and me as a dependent so his return was close to $7,000 rather than $2,000 listed the past yrs.
Can I be reimbursed since I was far from his dependent, should I contact the IRS to prevent it from happening again, and can I file my own tax returns while on SSI?  Thank you for your time. Peace

You were a dependent?  

Did you file last year (and preceding years?)

Who provided greater than 50% of your support?

Where did you sleep?  Live?

Short story long.  Yes. A SSI person can file their own return

While host of issues here

Send me a new question. But mark it private

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.