Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Deductions For Ministry Expenses

Question
Dear John,

My wife and I will retire from mission work in Asia after 23 years in May, 2013.  We are both 67.  We will be going around to churches in the US teaching occassionally.  We will live full-time in a 31ft Class A motorhome given to us by an uncle.  Our income will be Social Security, some support still from our agency, and income from an internet based business that has been good the past 10 years.

What kind of deductions can we expect to claim for minstry expenses when living full-time in an RV?  We have housing allowance that will need adjustment I suppose.  What about mileage?  Parking spot rentals?  Per diem deductions?  Can we deduct any or all of these expenses?  How do we determine what is minsitry and what is just living?

THANK YOU for any hints or advice you can give.  We are probably going to need a lot of it!

Answer
Richard,

Thanks for your question.

Since you will be living in the motor home full time, that is considered you primary residence.  The IRS would classify you as an itinerant, meaning you have no tax home.  Therefore, any of the expenses associated with the motor home are not deductible ministry expenses. However, the motor home upkeep, etc. could qualify for housing allowance.  Mileage would not be a part of this, just costs of maintaining the motor home. No per diem for meals.  Parking spot rentals would probably qualify as a housing allowance item.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA