Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/foreign spouse


can i claim my spouse from the Philippines .and how do i go about doing it she has no income i have supported her all year and have kept all the receipts and is any of the visa [process fees ] tax deductible ?

Dear William,

You can claim exemption for the Non-Resident spouse but you would have to apply for ITIN number for her.

Please see for details.

I hope this helps,
I.J.Zemelman, EA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


IJ Zemelman, EA MBA


I am an IRS-authorized EA and principal of a Tax Preparation firm focusing on U.S. Expatriates. We specialize in all tax issues faced by American citizens living abroad - such as foreign earned income, tax treaties, foreign spouse, etc. Visit our website - - for more information.


18 years professional tax experience, 12 with expatriate taxes.

Expatriate tax information on

MBA from Zicklin School Of Business, IRS Enrolled Agent

©2017 All rights reserved.