Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Income tax question


my friend and his daughter were living with me this whole year of 2012. he does not work now. from what he told me he didnt make enough when he did work earlier in the year to even have to file taxes. anyway, since he and his child were living in my house and i was the only one working and i supplied for both he and his child, can i claim his child on my tax return for this year? he said that i could but i just wasnt sure. he has full custody of his daughter, so the mother trying to claim the daughter would not be an issue. i live in lancaster county, pennsylvania. if you could let me know what your thoughts are on this, it would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance for your help.

For a pound of Lebanon baloney I will answer.  :)

Actually.  Wife will likely try to take child and mess stuff up

Also,  if he worked and had tax taken out, he'll have to file to get refunds of tax

And, short story long, yes you can likely take _both_ of them as dependents.   A dependent does not necessarily have to be a child.  

But you are not my client.  So a little more info woul be required  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.