Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Loans between related companies

Question
John,
I often come across owners of two separate companies that are making loans due to cash flow issues.  My question is how to handle it when these loans can't be repaid because the company being loaned the money never generates enough income.  Is there income to recognized, can these balances be written off, if so how.  Any advice on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Jeff

Answer
Jeff,

There is really no one answer to your question.  It depends on the circumstances, since it is considered a related party loan.  If it can be demonstrated that the loans were for a legitimate business purpose, the default may result in income to the defaulting company and a loss to the lending company.

If a legitimate business purpose cannot be shown neither income nor a deduction is allowed.

Bottom line, it all depends on the circumstances and what you can prove.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA