Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/MAGI

Mr. Tyler
Medicare D may levy a surcharge on it's monthly premium if ones MAGI exceeds certain ammounts. I can see my AGI on my 1040, but where is (or how do I calculate) my MODIFIED AGI?

First, the surcharge is on Part B and D and is based on the prior 2 years MAGI. Generally, your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) is the total of your adjusted gross income and tax-exempt interest income you may have. These are the amounts on lines 37 and 8b of IRS from 1040. Some examples of income are: wages, salaries, tips, taxable interest, certain dividends, business income, capital gains, and unemployment compensation, as well as annuities, Social Security payments and some pensions.

Here is a link to the info:

Take care,

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Bruce W. Tyler, EA

I can answer questions with regard to the following: Preparation/Tax Law regarding Individual Income Tax (IRS and California), Audit Representation/IRS Procedures of personal and corporate income tax including appeals, IRS Collection procedures for individuals, partnerships and corporations, Offers-in-Compromise, Installment Payment Plans, Penalty Abatement,Income from Cancellation of Debt. Heavy experience with Public Safety (i.e. Firefighters, Police Officers, Correctional Officers, etc) as well as medical industry.

21 years in tax preparation and representation

National Association of Enrolled Agents

4 years of accounting at Woodbury University/UCLA Extension