Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Meals and lodging

Question
My question is in determining if an out of town is indefinite or for more than one year.  My employer has me away from home 10-11 months a year and always plans on me being home for December and January.  I've never been onsite away from home for a continuous year, and work assignments are always changing.  Can I deduct the meals and lodging expensing in my tax returns?

Answer
Matt,

Thanks for your question.

The rule is that if your assignment is for more than one year or for an indefinite period any travel expenses, including meals and lodging, are not deductible.  This applies to a single assignment.

If your assignments are in the same location, it is considered a single assignment.

If you are on the same assignment and are taken off that assignment, then reassigned the same assignment in a couple of months, it counts as being continuous.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA