Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Rent expenses during repairs

Question
If I settle in December on a property I intend to rent after repairs are made in about 2 months, can I complete a schedule E for the property on my 2012 IRS return for closing and related expenses, even the house will not be ready to rent? I have other rentals, but never settled in a year that the property was not ready to rent. Or, should I delay settlement until January 2013? Thank you very much.

Answer
You need to really understand the IRS rules on rental income and what is deductible and when

I am getting worried that you are wandering  around with 60 or 70% knowledge (if that)  and thinking you really have the answers,  which you clearly do not

Send new private question for follow up offline  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa