Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/roth ira

Hi John, i am over 50 years old and marry.  i want to contribute to my roth ira. i filed marry jointly last year and planning to file for 2012, and so on. is the max contribution to roth ira $6000 for both of us or more?  i am aware for one person it is 5000 plus 1000 if you are over age of 50. for some reason i think that when you have spouse, the amount is bigger.  can you explain?

Thanks for your question.

The contribution limits are per person.  Being over 50, you can contribute up to $6,000 per year to an IRA - Roth or traditional.  If you spouse is over 50, she may contribute an additional $6,000 to her own IRA.  If she is under 50, she can contribute up to $5,000.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University