You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax on foreign funds to US account of non resident


I am a Candian, but have been living outside the country for over a decade. In 2010 I worked in the United States for an American employer who paid me to a US account I set up. A year later I moved to a third country. I also changed companies to one who operate out of a forth country, but I continued to have my salary deposited into that US account. What taxes am I subject to? I hope I explained my rather complicated situation well enough...any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Dear Natasha,

You have an obligation to file U.S. Non-resident tax return and report income from U.S. sources for as long as you continue receiving it.

Please see

for details.

I hope this helps,
I.J.Zemelman, EA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


IJ Zemelman, EA MBA


I am an IRS-authorized EA and principal of a Tax Preparation firm focusing on U.S. Expatriates. We specialize in all tax issues faced by American citizens living abroad - such as foreign earned income, tax treaties, foreign spouse, etc. Visit our website - - for more information.


18 years professional tax experience, 12 with expatriate taxes.

Expatriate tax information on

MBA from Zicklin School Of Business, IRS Enrolled Agent

©2017 All rights reserved.