Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Taxation Question


Dear Ryan,

We are a small IT form based in thailand. We just won a contract from a US firm for USD $30,000 of which $6K is travel related expenses.

The company asked me for our our W9 but looks like w9 is not for international companies, only for US companies?

IS there any other form that I need to give them? also, will the US government deduct tax from this amount? I will be paying tax in Thailand.

Thanks a lot.



You should send them the Form W-8BEN instead of the Form W-9.  The company you contracted with will withhold the required tax withholding and you will be required to file a US non-resident tax return to claim any eligible refund.  

I hope this helps you and congratulations on your contract.  Feel free to contact us should you require any additional assistance.

Best Regards,

Ryan Hasselmeier
Tax Advisor


Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ryan Hasselmeier


A degreed accountant with significant experience in taxation compliance and resolution at all levels of government regulation.


Experienced Tax Advisor, Consultant and Preparer for over 15 years. In private practice for nearly 12 years now. Experienced in all areas of taxation: International, Federal, State, Local, etc

Current Chairman of the American Tax Professional Association Inc, a non-profit professional business association of accountants, tax preparers, consultants and advisors who specialize in compliance and representation of taxpayers before federal, state and local government regulators.

Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting and Management Information Systems from Sam Houston State University in Huntsville Texas.

Awards and Honors
Passed all parts of the Enrolled Agent Certification Examination administered by the Department of the Treasury and a Registered Tax Return Preparer with the Internal Revenue Service.

©2017 All rights reserved.