Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Is transfer from Child's Custodial Acc to 529 taxable

My daughter received a notice from the IRS that she owes back taxes on what they think was a redemption of funds from a UNIF (UGMA)account in which I am the trustee. What occurred was that the shares were indeed redeemed but immediately upon receiving that check I wrote one for the exact amount as a contribution to a 529 plan. Would that be considered a rollover? This was for the 2011 tax year. I'm sure we did not receive a 1099 statement saying it was taxable, otherwise we would either have declared it on her tax return or contacted the mutual fund for a clarification.

Thanks for your question.

Generally speaking a transfer/rollover of a UGMA to a 529 plan is a taxable event, especially since you withdrew the funds rather than doing a direct rollover into the 529.

Since the institution holding the investments did not know (officially) what you did with the funds, they do not know if it is a taxable event or not.

There are exceptions to this transaction being tax free, but since I do not have all the details I can't advise you further in this regard.  Most likely, since the transaction has been completed, it will be taxable.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University