Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/1098 Required?

Question
Good morning,

I sold a small property early in 2012.  The property had originally been my residence, then a rental property for 10 years.  Will I need to file a 1098 for the interest income?  I have provided the buyer with the amount of interest that they paid me in 2012, but I am reluctant to give them my SSN.  

Thank you for your help,

Susan

Answer
Susan,

Thanks for your question.

Since you are not a lender by trade or profession, you are not required to submit a Form 1098.  However, in order for the buyer to take a deduction for the interest he/she pays you, they must have your social security number and address to list on their return.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA