Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/1099-C

Question
Hi. I recently received a 1099-C from a credit card issuer. Does this mean the debt was canceled and can never be collected, either by the credit card issuer or a collection agency it may have sold the debt to? Or will it come back to haunt me?

Also, does the credit card company have to issue a 1099-C in the year that the debt was forgiven? I've heard of people receiving a 1099-C for debts from years ago.

Thanks.

Answer
If forgiven, 1099-c in year of forgiveness

If not yet forgiven, no 1099-c

Generally if they give you a 1099-c they can't try and collect later (legal question)

Plus, if you were insolvent you might not have to pay tax the 1099-c income.  But you still have to report it on 1040

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa