Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/1099 forms

Question
Hello

We have a small art gallery in New Mexico that is a part of the Santa Fe Community College.  When a piece by an artist is sold we pay the sales tax and then 1/2 of the sales price is paid to the artist.  For some reason my accounts payable mananger does not beleive that we need to give the artist a 1099 even if the artist sells over $600 in a calendar year.  She said that the artist is not providing us a service and therefore should not receive one.

Now one of the artists is calling me and wants the 1099 to show her income on her taxes.  I told her I would check into it.  I am thinking that we should be issueing them 1099 forms at the end of the year.

Is there somewhere I can locate this information on the IRS website?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide. It is appreciated.

Nancy

Answer
If you pay an individual over $600, you must provide a 1099-MISC

Here's the low-down:
 If you are required to send a 1099-MISC and don't, the IRS can assess penalties on your organization.
 If you are not required to send a 1099-MISC and you do anyway, there are no penalties.

So, if you want to be safe, send out the forms if you are not sure.

The purpose of the 1099-MISC is to collect taxes on the "underground" economy. A lot of artist are working this underground economy to not pay taxes. If you encourage it, then the IRS starts by assessing your organization.

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Randall Klein, MBA, EA