Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/American Opportunity Credit

Question
I was wondering if I can claim the american opportunity credit on my taxes this year? I was first in college from fall 2007 to spring of 2009.  Then I took the next semester off. I then started a tech program for my associates degree in spring of 2010 and finished in fall of 2011.  In 2012, i started in school again to finish my bachelors degree.  I was wondering if this still counts in my 4 years to claim this credit? I know Ive claimed this credit twice before.

Answer
Rachael,

Thanks for your question.

You can take the AOTC for the first four years of post-secondary education, not necessarily for four years.  By my count, you seem to have been in school for four years prior to your 2012 enrolment. If that is correct, you cannot take the credit now.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA