Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Deductions for a single member llc

Question
I am a single member llc and last year was my first year operating the business. I worked from home part-time and the other half I do business in an office that I lease out. Can I still deduct the interest from my mortgage on my taxes. I would also like to know if I could utilized the child care credit for my two children along with deducting daycare expenses since my children need to be in daycare for me to run my business. Thanks

Answer
Trina,

Thanks for your question.

Deducting the home office might be a problem since you have another office that you utilize.  However, if you can show good cause for why you have both, you could deduct it. But be prepared to defend it to the IRS if they ask.

You can take the child care credit if the child care costs were incurred to enable you to work.  From your description, it sounds like you can.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA