Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Dependent Roommate

Question
I'm wondering if it's possible to claim a roommate as a dependent on my Federal taxes?  They haven't worked in in a year and I have been paying all of the rent, food and other bills for my apartment.  Thanks for any help!

Answer
Hello Mark,

Thank you for your question, unfortunately the answer is No, and here is why.

You can claim as a dependent either a qualifying child or a qualifying relative. I am taking it that your roommate is not your relatives, and as for the qualifying child they need to be either your children or your sister or brother.

I hope that I have answered your question.

Abraham Itani, CPA

P.S. please, rate my answer.

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

ABRAHAM ITANI, CPA