Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Estate filing

Question
When my parents passed away they had a 12,300 IRA in an account. I received a 1099-R from the bank to the estate of my folks. How do I file federal taxes on an estate.

Answer
Dave,

Thanks for your question.

You would file a Form 1041, Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts.  Since the estate received a 1099 I presume you already have a federal ID number for the estate, so you would not need to apply for one.

Generally, you can have the estate pay the tax, or pass the tax on to the beneficiaries.  Since estate rates are higher, it is usually beneficial to pass the tax on.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA