Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Family Trust - Taxes

Question
Overview - A family member set up a trust in his will to leave his home to all his family members to use
when they wanted to for vacations (no more that 4 weeks per year). Money was left to be invested and support the home. After many years (20) the trust money to maintain the home ran out and the family is now selling the home. The residence trust has an EIN (Employer Identification Number). When the home is sold the proceeds from the sale will be distributed to the 12 family beneficiaries. Does that money need to be reported as income for the beneficiaries?
We have been told that a return for the EIN will need to filed to the IRS, but should the EIN return report the proceeds as income?
Thank you.

Answer
John,

Thanks for your question.

The trust will need to file a Form 1041, with a K-1 given to each beneficiary. It will show the gain/loss on the sale, along with certain details of the sale. The gain or loss is the difference in the basis and the sale price minus costs of sale. Your basis is the fair market value as of date of death of family member who bequeathed it. Each beneficiary will report the gain or loss from the sale on their respective 1040's.  The trust should not pay the tax, but pass that on to the beneficiaries.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA