Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Federal Tax ID# and tax filing requirements

Question
Hi!

Over the summer, a friend and I were trying to start a nonprofit partnership.  In order to register to accept donations in our state, we had to get a Federal Tax ID#.  We got the tax ID, but life got in the way and we never went any further with our enterprise.  We had no income at all from it and only a few minor expenses.  We did not register as a 501(c)(3).  

Since we have a Federal Tax ID#, do we have to file taxes this year? Will there be any penalties if we don't?  Can we keep the number in case we're in a better place next year to continue work on this project?  Thanks!

Lynn

Answer
Lynn,

Thanks for your question.

Generally speaking, a partnership will not qualify to be a 501(c)(3) organization.  They are usually corporations or associations. My advice would be to terminate the ID number you have, then get another one if you start back up - and form a corporation.

However, to answer your question.  Technically, when an organization is issued a tax ID number, it must file a return every year.  Therefore, you should file a zero return.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA