Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Foreign Student Loan Interest

Question
Dear John,

I am writing to you as a follow up to a question you responded to some years ago and am curious if current tax laws are still in effect. I am a Canadian working as a Professor in the US on an H1B visa (my perm has been filed.) I owe student loans in Canada that were used to attend a qualified FL state university for my graduate studies. I do not intend to file taxes in Canada for 2012; I had no income there. My student loan interest for 2012 is over $4000. Am I able to claim this interest on my 2012 US taxes? I have a statement of account from the Quebec government showing my 2012 interest.

Answer
Elliot:

Let me research this question and I will answer it by tomorrow 1/31/2013.

John

1/31/2013

Elliot:

I have researched the question "what is a qualified student loan".  I find no mention of a Canadian (Quebec) Government Loan meeting the "qualified student loan" purpose.  Several US Government Student Loans do meet the test but I find no mention of any foreign government loans meeting the test.

John

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John L. Tidwell