Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/gift

Question
Mr Stancil,

My aunt allows my wife and my 4 children and I to live in her 2nd home and does not charge us rent. She does not live there and there is no lease.She considers this a gift and does not require anything of us in order to live there. We pay for all our own utilities (in my name) and living expenses and take care of the place like a normal renter would. My understanding is that the free rent would not be considered income to me for tax purposes. She does not file a gift tax return because the fmv of the rent divided by 2 (a gift to my spouse and I) falls under the annual exclusion. Am I correct in my understanding of this?

Answer
Mike,

Thanks for your question.

You are absolutely correct.  A gift is never taxable income to the recipient. As long as the value of the gift is under $14,000 (per recipient) the donor does not have to file a gift tax return and there are no tax consequences to her.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA