Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Gift tax form 709, splitting

Question
My wife and I gave our daughter who is in graduate school a monthly allowance for paying rent, buying food, etc. The allowance was worth about $16,000 in 2012.

What values would you put into the columns of Form 709 for me, and then for my wife?

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Charlie A.

Answer
Charles,

Thanks for your question.

Based on your description, you appear to have given her a cash amount.  The actual amount of cash that you gave her would be reported on the Form 709.

However, since it is only $16,000 you can elect gift splitting, making the gift $8,000 each.  Since that is below the $13,000 annual exclusion amount, you do not have to file a gift tax return.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA