Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Lifetime Learning Credit

Question
Hi John,

I have a question on the Lifetime Learning Credit.  I had paid for a class last year that I have completed.  The institution had mistakenly credited my account and is now asking me to make payment for that class in 2013.  I had taken the class knowing very well that I would be able to take advantage of the Lifetime Learning Credit.  However, due to the mistake on their part I now have to pay for the class this year and will probably phase out due to the income limitations.  Is there any way I can claim the credit for last year?  I had paid for it last year before they mistakenly credited my account!

Thanks so much for your help!

Answer
Laura,

Thanks for your question.

You can take the credit in the year in which you actually paid the amounts.  If you paid it last year, you should be able to file an amended return and take the credit.  Use Form 1040X.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA