Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Minors and 1099

Currently researching and developing a business plan recruiting minors (with parental consent) who would like to earn extra money selling.  Would like to confirm if they earn less than $600 and only work for a period of a few weeks in a year that I will not be responsible to file any documents with the IRS?  Also, to clarify for the parents, will their child need to file a tax return?

Thanks for your question.

If they are properly classified as independent contractors receiving a 1099, you have nothing to report if their earnings are under $600 for the year.  If the child has earnings of $400 or more, they would be subject to SE tax and a return filed.

However, if their proper classification is employee, receiving a W-2, you must report any earnings on the W-2.

Income tax would not likely be an issue unless their income exceeded the minimum for filing a return.  This can vary depending on dependency status.  

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University