Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Mutual Fund Startup

Question
Hello Randall,

I'm one of the experts in the Music/Oldies category and don't normally get to ask the questions, but here goes:

In December, I started an investment in a mutual fund and the startup cost (broker's fees) is $1,150. Can I deduct that as a capital gains (loss)? I do not itemize; I take the Standard Deduction.

Thanks very much for the help!

Dave

Answer
Well, first, that sounds like an extraordinary amount of "start-up cost" for an investment account. There should not be ANY investment cost with investing in a mutual fund.

It is not a capital gain or loss. I would like to know more about this fee before I comment further.

Exactly what type of investment was this? Was this a management fee? Consulting fee? Very odd for this type of investment. Also, can you tell me approximately how much you invested?  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Randall Klein, MBA, EA