Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/New AMT

Question
I just discovered that I made about $50 over the new AMT numbers approved today. Does that mean that I will have to pay taxes at 25% as opposed regular federal taxes?

Answer
Hello and thanks for asking today.

If you are over the AMT threshold, you are not automatically going to pay the AMT, rather it means you will have to do the calculation to determine if you will have to pay the AMT.

If you have no AMT adjustment items on your return (for example you have no dependents and you take the standard deduction), even though you are over the AMT exemption amount, you still may not be subject to the AMT.

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Randall Klein, MBA, EA