Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/notice of deficiency for a year we did not work in Missouri

Question
I recently received a notice of deficiency from the state of Missouri for the tax year of 2009. Neither myself or my husband worked or lived in Missouri until 2010. I am unclear as to why we have received this letter. What steps can be taken to clear this matter?

Answer
Dawn,

Call the telephone number on the notice and ask them where the income came from. I am not familiar with the procedure for MO - with the IRS, a court petition has to be filed. In CA, we receive a proposed assessment notice and usually calling the telephone number takes care of the matter.

Take care,

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Bruce W. Tyler, EA