You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/notice of deficiency for a year we did not work in Missouri


I recently received a notice of deficiency from the state of Missouri for the tax year of 2009. Neither myself or my husband worked or lived in Missouri until 2010. I am unclear as to why we have received this letter. What steps can be taken to clear this matter?


Call the telephone number on the notice and ask them where the income came from. I am not familiar with the procedure for MO - with the IRS, a court petition has to be filed. In CA, we receive a proposed assessment notice and usually calling the telephone number takes care of the matter.

Take care,

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bruce W. Tyler, EA


I can answer questions with regard to the following: Preparation/Tax Law regarding Individual Income Tax (IRS and California), Audit Representation/IRS Procedures of personal and corporate income tax including appeals, IRS Collection procedures for individuals, partnerships and corporations, Offers-in-Compromise, Installment Payment Plans, Penalty Abatement,Income from Cancellation of Debt. Heavy experience with Public Safety (i.e. Firefighters, Police Officers, Correctional Officers, etc) as well as medical industry.


21 years in tax preparation and representation

National Association of Enrolled Agents

4 years of accounting at Woodbury University/UCLA Extension

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]