Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Not for Profit Rental?

My wife and I purchased a Second home in another state in July of last year.  The mortgage and tax records are in our name.  Our son and his family live in the house full time.  We also lived in the house 45 days last year and so met the mortgage requirements for a Second home.

Our son provides the money for the mortgage, taxes, and home insurance.  They take care of all maintenance costs.  We are not making a profit and donít intend to.  Nor do we intend to declare any deductions other than mortgage interest and taxes.  Do we have to declare the money our son provides for mortgage, taxes, and home insurance as rental income on Form 1040?  Can we take the tax deductions for all of the mortgage interest and taxes on our return?

Thank you,

Thanks for your question.

You state that he provides the money for the mortgage, taxes, and insurance.  I presume that means he give you the money and you pay those items.  My answer is based on that.

You do need to report the income on line 21 of 1040 as a "rental not for profit."  The taxes and interest are deductible on Schedule A regardless.  If there is income remaining, you can deduct the insurance and other costs of ownership.  If profit still remains, you can take depreciation until you have a zero gain.  These are miscellaneous itemized deductions on Schedule A.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University