Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Not for Profit Rental?

Question
My wife and I purchased a Second home in another state in July of last year.  The mortgage and tax records are in our name.  Our son and his family live in the house full time.  We also lived in the house 45 days last year and so met the mortgage requirements for a Second home.

Our son provides the money for the mortgage, taxes, and home insurance.  They take care of all maintenance costs.  We are not making a profit and donít intend to.  Nor do we intend to declare any deductions other than mortgage interest and taxes.  Do we have to declare the money our son provides for mortgage, taxes, and home insurance as rental income on Form 1040?  Can we take the tax deductions for all of the mortgage interest and taxes on our return?

Thank you,
Lea

Answer
Lea,

Thanks for your question.

You state that he provides the money for the mortgage, taxes, and insurance.  I presume that means he give you the money and you pay those items.  My answer is based on that.

You do need to report the income on line 21 of 1040 as a "rental not for profit."  The taxes and interest are deductible on Schedule A regardless.  If there is income remaining, you can deduct the insurance and other costs of ownership.  If profit still remains, you can take depreciation until you have a zero gain.  These are miscellaneous itemized deductions on Schedule A.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA