Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Returning to California

Question
After 1.5 years of living in WA State, I am thinking of moving back to California.  I have a condo in California that I have rented out and which I will likely move back to. I own a home in WA, have a WA State drivers license, have voted there and have only visited CA for short periods of time for work-related matters.

I've heard that CA is quite aggressive with its collection of State income taxes, but wanted to get a sense of how aggressive the State might be (if at all) with this fact pattern.

Thank you.

Answer
TeeJay,

During the time you were/are a WA resident, you were required to file a CA return to show the income/loss on the CA rental.

If the rental showed losses every year, you may need to file CA returns if your income exceeds certain levels.

How much did you earn during your residency in WA and what was the profit/loss shown on the rental in CA?

Take care,

Bruce W. Tyler, EA
661-724-1041

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Bruce W. Tyler, EA