Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Returning to California


After 1.5 years of living in WA State, I am thinking of moving back to California.  I have a condo in California that I have rented out and which I will likely move back to. I own a home in WA, have a WA State drivers license, have voted there and have only visited CA for short periods of time for work-related matters.

I've heard that CA is quite aggressive with its collection of State income taxes, but wanted to get a sense of how aggressive the State might be (if at all) with this fact pattern.

Thank you.


During the time you were/are a WA resident, you were required to file a CA return to show the income/loss on the CA rental.

If the rental showed losses every year, you may need to file CA returns if your income exceeds certain levels.

How much did you earn during your residency in WA and what was the profit/loss shown on the rental in CA?

Take care,

Bruce W. Tyler, EA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bruce W. Tyler, EA


I can answer questions with regard to the following: Preparation/Tax Law regarding Individual Income Tax (IRS and California), Audit Representation/IRS Procedures of personal and corporate income tax including appeals, IRS Collection procedures for individuals, partnerships and corporations, Offers-in-Compromise, Installment Payment Plans, Penalty Abatement,Income from Cancellation of Debt. Heavy experience with Public Safety (i.e. Firefighters, Police Officers, Correctional Officers, etc) as well as medical industry.


21 years in tax preparation and representation

National Association of Enrolled Agents

4 years of accounting at Woodbury University/UCLA Extension

©2017 All rights reserved.