Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/RMD distribution


I failed to remove the Required minimum distribution from my IRA.
When I realized this the amount of $628.75 was removed on 1-4-13.
What do I do now to avoid a penalty?

You need to do nothing. As long as you made a corrective distribution as soon as you discovered the error, you should be OK. If you made this only a few days after the end of the year, if the IRS writes to you about the missed RMD, you can request an abatement of penalty and they usually will waive the penalty.

The normal penalty is 50% of the amount of the RMD.

However, I doubt the IRS will contact you about this relatively small amount.

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Randall Klein, MBA, EA


I am an expert in personal and small business taxation, including Forms 1040, 1120, 1120S, 1065. I can answer any type of tax question except those that are requesting help in illegal tax evasion. Tax avoidance is legal, however. I do not do offshore trusts, or opt-out of the tax system type of queries.


25 years real experience in dealing with tax preparation, representation before the IRS, tax problem resolution, and more. Successfully represented clients in Offers in Compromise with more than 95% of all offers accepted.

National Association of Enrolled Agents National Society of Tax Preparers BNI - Business Networking International

Yahoo Answers - recognized as a tax expert.

MBA, Weatherhead School, Case Western Reserve University. BA, Indiana University, Bloomington Enrolled Agent, licensed by US Treasury.

Past/Present Clients
Most of my clients are small business owners

©2017 All rights reserved.