Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/SS income


hi John,

i am marry but separated from wife. we live in different places. she is currently getting SS disability due to some condition that prevent her from working. we have a 1 year old that live with me and i supported him.  he is receiving SS benefits on part of my separated wife.  he got a statement at the residency where his mom live.  it is address as follow: jennifer smith for kelvin smith.
since i took care of our son, i will claim him as dependent.  can i declare his income from SS in my return even if it is addressed to my wife and statement goes to my wife address and not mine? will this cause any problem? please explain the best way to deal with this situation. since i am separated, i am declaring head of household with my son. wife will file her own single tax status

Wrong !!!!

In several counts

You CAN'T be hoh and married

She can't file single.

Under very rate circumstances you can claim divorce is final when it is not

But that is unlikely

Parent who has custody and provides support takes deduction

You don't have to pick up sons income in your return

You need help.   Look up local Irs office or VITa in phone ok

Where are you located?

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.