Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax Exempt

Question
My 17 year old just started his first job.  I have been told he should fill out his W-4 as Tax Exempt, because he won't make enough to meet the requirement and any taxes paid he would get back anyway.  Is this true or should he claim 1 on his W-4?  He is a full time student and I don't want him to have to owe taxes at the end of the year.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Kerrie

Answer
Kerrie,

Thanks for your question.

You cannot claim exempt unless you had not tax liability in the prior year and do not anticipate any in the current year.  In addition, if he is claimed as a dependent on your (or another return), he is not allowed to claim exempt.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA