Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax Question Re; Lease/Purchase

Question
"I own a home that is paid in full. I have been offered a sales agreement where the party agrees to a 20 year lease purchase agreement.

Due to the new sale of home taxes for 2013, will I be charged any of the 2013 Surcharge tax on this transaction or would I be charged this surcharge on each month lease payments... or is there another scenario as to the taxes.

Thank you.

Russ"

Answer
Russ,

Thanks for your question.  It is not a sale of home tax, but is broader than that.

The 3.8% additional Medicare tax applies to taxpayers with adjusted gross incomes in excess of $200,000 ($250,000 married filing jointly).  This tax is levied on the gain from the sale of unearned income such as interest, dividends, rents, and capital gains.

If you exceed the income threshold, you would be subject to the tax on the sale of the home on the portion that is in excess of the exclusion for the sale of your primary residence (assuming this house qualifies as your primary residence).

The tax is imposed on the lesser of net investment income or the excess of AGI over the previously mentioned thresholds. In the event of an instalment sale, the tax would apply to net investment income reported each year.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA