Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax question regarding fundraiser

Question
Mr. Stancil,
My friends would like to have a spaghetti dinner to help pay for some of my six year olds medical care.  We have insurance but have been paying large medical bills for four years now and to be honest it is becoming difficult.  We do not qualify for any write offs.  He is getting ready to have spinal surgery and they would like to raise money to cover out of pocket expenses.  Their goal is ten thousand dollars (that is what we will owe out of pocket).  We have never done anything like this and are unsure on taxes, and it feels a little uncomfortable.  From what I have read online we need to set up a non interest bearing account specified for medical.  Are they allowed to sell tickets to a spaghetti feed?  Auction or raffle off donated items?  Also, they would like to sell "support our cause shirts"?  Some of this looks like a no to me.  Sounds like all should be strictly a donation or gift.  I would greatly appreciate any advise you can give.

Thank you very much!

Dianna

Answer
Dianna,

Thanks for your question.

If you sell things such as a dinner, you are, in essence, operating a business.  Likewise, with a raffle or auction.  You are not an IRS qualified tax exempt organization, so you can't accept charitable contributions.  Your proceeds would be taxable income.

If you had a spaghetti dinner and it was strictly a donation rather than a charge, that would be OK.  Just set up a box for people to drop any donation in,  or some similar arrangement.

Likewise, any money or property donated to you would not create a tax deduction for the donor.

If people give you money, that is treated as a gift and would be not taxable to you. However it is not a deduction for them.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA