Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Travel expense deductions (for AD military)

I am an active duty officer in the US Army, and very frequently have work-related travel across the country for TDY (temporary duty) away from my tax home.
Sometimes this travel is funded-- I'll receive an expense allowance for miles (I almost always drive my POV) and for up to the daily gov't hotel rate for my stay. At other times, this travel is unfunded-- my mileage & stay will be on my own dime.

a)Are these unfunded travel periods eligible to be deducted on my yearly taxes? Mileage, rent, utilities, etc?
b)While my rent is sometimes funded, my utilities/cable are never covered by my home institution- are these eligible for deduction?

When the travel is unfunded, you can deduct mileage, meals, and housing if the TDY is for less than a year.  Likewise any qualified mileage, meal, or housing expenses that are not reimbursed  may be deducted.  If it is for a period of time longer than a year or for an indefinite period, the IRS position is that your tax home has changed and none of the expenses are deductible.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University