Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/corporation sale

Question
I currently own a c corporation which is owned by myself and my two sisters. The restaurant started in 1972 and was ran by my mother until her death in 2007. Me and my 2 siblings inherited the business in 2007.
I am going to get bought out by my sister on a straight stock sale for 850,000.
What kind of taxes will I pay on  this sale?
Are there any recommendations to minimize the amount of tax i will pay. My income is $40,000 per year.

Thank You

Answer
Ed,

Thanks for your question.

You will owe tax, at the capital gain rate, on your profit.  Your basis in the stock is the fair market value as of the date of your mother's death.

You may qualify for an exclusion of all or part of the gain as qualified small business stock.  This article explains the rules for this.  http://www.groco.com/readingroom/sec1202_gain.aspx

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA