Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax Liens

Question
I filed my taxes last year and the IRS took everything, so I called to find why and I was told that I owed taxes in the State of South Carolina.  With that being said and the balances were paid, why do I still have a state tax lien against me?

Answer
Lisa:

You must contact the State of South Carolina to clear up this matter.  The tax has been paid they may require you to file the release once they send it to you.  The IRS only had a legal request to withhold funds (your refund) to satisfy a tax judgement.  Its possible that between the time the request was made and the actual funds was captured by the IRS that additional penalty and interest accrued.  When it comes to tax matters it always best to take charge of the matter than allow it to fester.  It does not get better over time.

John

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John L. Tidwell