Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/federal tax return


My business runs on a fiscal year ending Oct.31. On this past years tax return I noticed that my CPA did not put in the tax year beginning and ending date! The dates were supposed to be beginning Nov.1 2011, ending Oct. 31. 2012. But the tax return does have 2011 on the top right side corner. I have called my CPA numerous times with no answer. What should I do about this? Is it a big deal that the dates are not on the tax return? And will hear from the IRS about this? I owe nothing for the year but have a refund that will be applied to this years taxes.

Yes, it does matter and should be corrected. In addition, it sounds like the wrong form for the tax year was used - since your fiscal year ends in 2012, the 2012 version of the return (and not 2011) should have been used. What kind of tax return was filed - 1040, 1065, 1120, 1120S and I can provide you some further guidance?

Best regards,

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Randall Brody, EA, MBA, CCP


Tax Samaritan is a boutique firm specializing in the preparation of taxes and the resolution of tax problems for Americans living abroad, as well as the unique tax issues that apply to taxpayers that are gamblers, teachers, nurses and military.


Get Expert U.S. Tax Preparation Wherever You Live We Built Our Company By Helping People With Their Tax And Financial Goals We can make a difference for you too! Tax Samaritan is a highly specialized boutique firm of Enrolled Agents providing tax solutions and wealth management for U.S. taxpayers with a special focus on assisting Americans living abroad. We strive to make U.S. tax preparation both accessible and easy for our clients. If you’re a U.S. citizen and live abroad, it’s likely that you still need to file a U.S. tax return and we can help make this an easy process for you. Our tax and financial services are very straightforward. We want to help solve your tax and financial issues and enhance your financial situation.

National Association of Enrolled Agents, National Association of Tax Professionals

Enrolled Agent (EA) Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) University of Phoenix: Masters of Business AdministrationCalifornia State University, East Bay: Bachelors of Science, Finance.

Past/Present Clients
We have served thousands of clients worldwide in the last 20+ years.

©2017 All rights reserved.