Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Gift Tax

I am buying a home for $250000. My bother is giving me $150000 in cash to buy this home and my husband and I are paying the balance in cash.  Will either one of us have to pay a gift tax on the $150000 he is giving us?

Thanks for your question.

Any gift tax is levied on the donor, not the donee.

In this case , it is not likely that there will be any gift tax.  There is an annual exclusion of gifts under $14000 to an unlimited number of persons.  Beyond this, there is a lifetime exclusion of $5,250,000. This is available if he has not previously used up his exemption.

If one exceeds the $14,000 annual amount, a gist tax return must be filed, even if no tax is due.  Using the lifetime exclusion reduces the estate tax exemption, however.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University