Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Gift Tax

Question
I am buying a home for $250000. My bother is giving me $150000 in cash to buy this home and my husband and I are paying the balance in cash.  Will either one of us have to pay a gift tax on the $150000 he is giving us?

Answer
Carol,

Thanks for your question.

Any gift tax is levied on the donor, not the donee.

In this case , it is not likely that there will be any gift tax.  There is an annual exclusion of gifts under $14000 to an unlimited number of persons.  Beyond this, there is a lifetime exclusion of $5,250,000. This is available if he has not previously used up his exemption.

If one exceeds the $14,000 annual amount, a gist tax return must be filed, even if no tax is due.  Using the lifetime exclusion reduces the estate tax exemption, however.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA